Our Family

Our Family
Patrick, KelliPaige, Sadie (18), Daniel (14), & Emilie (9),

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Sadie's adventure!

Many of you have already heard about Sadie's traumatic adventure, but I realize not all of you are on Facebook, so I'll share here as well.

I went grocery shopping this past Wednesday morning. Sadie has been dutifully working at completing her school requirements for this year, but came into the kitchen to help me put the groceries away. The pantry in our kitchen has two doors. I had opened the upper door and Sadie was putting things away in the lower. When she was finished she got up abruptly and banged her head on the corner of the cabinet door and then immediately hit the floor. Man, it hurt! We inspected her head where she was holding it and saw no cut. "Sit down for a minute. You'll be okay," and I left the room to put more things away.

When I came back to the kitchen she was standing in the kitchen and her daddy was dabbing her head with a paper towel. "Is she alright?" I asked. "Yeah, she has a little blood," he said. I took a little closer look to see a thick line of blood trickle down her forehead. I don't remember my exact words, but I did gasp! "She's fine," assured her daddy, trying to calm me down so I wouldn't alarm her unnecessarily.

I left the kitchen to put something else away and returned just in time to see my child melt. Patrick had just showed her the paper towel, "See, it's not so bad." But the combination of the adrenaline from hitting her head, my gasp, and seeing the blood caused her to black out! This didn't help me to stay calm. It was quite a frightening moment.

We watched her like a hawk the rest of the day, but fortunately, she was perfectly fine. Thank you, Lord! I am also grateful that her daddy was home to handle things, including catching her when she fainted and keeping a level head when mine was out of control.

WARNING! Not for the faint at heart...

No comments: